Don't Eat Pete!

The Comedian was introduced to the wonderfully fun game of "Don't Eat Pete" in his Kindergarten class around Christmastime.  In fact they made Don't Eat Pete gameboards to bring home to their family as their gift.  So for New Years Eve one of the rousing games we played was. . . .you guessed it. . . .Don't Eat Pete!

He has brought it up and we've played different versions off and on.  We played with all of his friends at his birthday party.  Today we couldn't find the original Alien Pete gameboard or the mommy created Snowman gameboard so he put about 20 stickers on a piece of notebook paper and asked to play.

I was quite occupied with bread dough all over my hands so told him we'd have to wait a bit until the rolls were ready to rise.  When I was finished with the rolls I asked him what we were going to play with (for this game the game pieces are usually small pieces of candy) and he says, "Hmmm we are out of smarties, so how about macaroni!"

I replied, "I don't want to break my teeth, so how about Fruit Loops!"

And the game was on.  Now being 6 the Comedian's strategy skills are not the best.  So when he chooses which spot is "Pete" he stares at the spot without blinking.  It kind of takes the randomness and surprise out of the game.  So during one round I was trying really hard to just play how I would play if he were not sending laser beams through "Pete" and suddenly he looks up at me and says, "Are you reading my mind?  That's cheating you know!"

(We have previously had discussions about mind reading here)

My assurances that I was not and could not know read his mind did not mean a whole lot for on the very next round (it was my turn to choose "Pete") he sat down and after having his hands hover over each and every spot on the board, his eyes looking up to meet mine with each pause his hand darted out and grabbed "Pete"!

He decided that he would rather go and play with the Engineer because he had not yet learned all the tricks of mind reading.

And I had a really great laugh!

2 comments:

DJ Thunder said...

LOL... that's my comedian!

famr_4evr said...

our kids so love this game!

With What Shall We Fix It?