Help! The Sunbeams are attacking!!!!!!!!

Well at least one of them is. *weak grin* I am teaching a Sunbeam class that has 13 children in it. I truly do love them all; and I'm not just saying that to try and convince myself. There is one small one however who truly tries my patience each and every Sunday that he comes to class. He seems determined to (1) show that he disapproves of all of this "reverent" nonsense, (2) make sure that we all know we are "stupid", (3) spitting is a valid form of defense, and (4) it almost seems like he is trying to prove to himself that I and the other children don't like him so he will behave in a way that makes it difficult to like him. Now is it truly likely that this little 3 year old has thought all of this out and is making these choices deliberately? Well no! I'm not sure that that knowledge helps me deal with the situation any better.

I guess the truth is that this little boy's behavior intimidates me. I would not put up with the way he is behaving from any of the other children or my own, but I'm fairly certain that any form of direct discipline would result in a scene that would result in at the very least blood being drawn. (Most likely mine....however some of the other children unfortunately may get hurt as well)

So I need to actively find ways to love him in spite of his behavior. If I can only win this little boy over I think he and I could be great friends. So I need to begin by working on myself......

Where oh where will that lead me?

As if Sunbeams were not enough of a trial today....my little Engineer took the spray bottle and the scissors to Mr. Comedian's hair while the family was supposed to be having a Sunday nap.

So much for a restful Sabbath.

1 comments:

Mom of 5 Gents said...

Interesting descriptions. I believe it was President Packer who said, "Doctrine can change behavior quicker than talking about behavior will."

In my experience, many of the children are craving for love. That is not to say they aren't feeling loved at home, though some are not. They just seem to need more of it. Pray to love him. Redirect with love. Teach with love.

With What Shall We Fix It?