Overheard at My House

2010 was a year of trauma, sorrow, grief, anger, rage and more pain than I have the skills to adequately convey in written form.  Not to mention that this really isn't the proper medium to do so.  Those of you who have walked the walk with me have an idea of what we've been through.  For a variety of reasons I have not written much over the last year.  However, The true purpose of this blog is for my boys to have a scrapbook of their childhood.  And while the year was full of difficulties there were also moments of typical childhood, joy, and all out silliness.  So with that in mind I went back through my journal and Facebook status (what would we ever do with out Facebook?) and found moments that I find memorable  So here's a compilation of things overheard at my house during the last year or so.


Guess who said, "My dad is the oldest kid in my family. I don't know how old he is but he's older than Braden. He's so old he only has to ask permission sometimes"  (April 10, 2010--The credit for this one goes to Miss Emma who is not my child but it was too good to not record)


Guess who said, "I don't want any root beer floats because I'm feeling obnoxious." (May 8, 2010)  Hint:  It was NOT the comedian

My boys were playing some sort of treasure hunt, knights game crossed with Star Wars and Dinotopia universe. One boy said dramatically to the other, "No give me the REAL treasure so I can keep it safe!" Other boy handed over a small container of dental floss. I'm sure their dentist will be impressed! (May 13, 2010)

"would you like to play meteors killed herbivores?" (June 6, 2010)  Note:  They played but somewhere along the way the herbivores became space ships made out of Legos

So far the "Where's goose?" count is up to 12....somehow I think it is going to be a long day of helping the little one locate "goose"  (August 2, 1010)  *note:  "Goose" is my sister in law's cat who is going to be a long term house guest while they are working out their relocation plans.  His name is actually Bruce but at our house....Goose it is! At least according to our Tiny Tyrant*

My 6 yo lost a tooth tonight!!!! His 8 yo brother carefully examined his mouth and expressed deep concern over his bleeding gums, then dramatically announced that we needed to call the doctor because there might be complications! *roll eyes now*  (August 25, 2010)


Comedian requested "Noodles with crackers on top and some cheese" for dinner....so uhm...Not Your Mother's Tuna Casserole it is  (Oct. 18, 2010)

Comedian
 ". . . but can nickels be used as quarters?" (Jan 25th, 2010)

"Well, maybe your teacher doesn't know as much as momma knows!"

"Mama, I'm sure glad that the school lets us have EVERY SATURDAY off! That is so nice of them!"



Tyrant exclaimed, "Engineer you're a boy!" (really? hmmm.... tell me something I didn't know.) (Jan 1, 2011)


Engineer, "Mom do you think we could have some kind of treat? A cold treat? Like maybe a Popsicle? I'm not going to push you too hard and ask for ice-cream or something...but would a Popsicle or something like that be okay?" (Jan 6, 2011--by the Engineer)

2 comments:

The Accidental Mommy said...

You're right of course, the thing to do is focus on the positives and it is a great thing to write them all down to remember.

I don't know your story very well but I can imagine if it is similar, as it seems to be. So I am guessing that there is a great deal of unbalance as far as positive events go. It can be almost impossible to dig them out. I hope it gets better. It looks like you are trying so very hard.

Valerie said...

Thanks so much for your great comment on my blog post. I'm gonna go back and re-read Elder Bednar's talk. I am so sorry that you have been dealt so many trials, one after another. Even though I don't know what is going on, I do pray that you can somehow find peace and that your family is able to be close and united during it.

And I LOVED reading this post. Such funny kids.

With What Shall We Fix It?